The hunting lodge of Prince Kaunitz.
House No. 19 on Erdbergstrasse will soon be demolished and a modern apartment building built. The historic house is said to have been the property of the well-known statesman Prince Kaunitz, who used it as a hunting lodge. This pretty house once stood almost alone in the old Erdberg and had two underground passages, one of which leads to the Prater and the second to the parish church of St. Rochus on the country road. Prince Kaunitz invited numerous personalities to this hunting lodge built in the Gothic style. Even Empress Maria Theresa attended numerous hunts and spent a few nights resting in this palace after the hunt. In the Erdberger vernacular, the house was still generally called the hunting lodge of Empress Marin Theresia or “Kaunitzburg” up until the 1970s.
The Kaunitzburg in Erdberg
Abandoned by Prince Kaunitz as a hunting lodge, the two-storey building was converted into a monastery and at the beginning of the last century into a private house
What does Wikipedia say about Wenzel Anton Graf Kaunitz-Rietberg?
(* February 2, 1711 in Vienna; † June 27, 1794 in Mariahilf, then still a suburb of Vienna), Imperial Prince of Kaunitz-Rietberg in Westphalia since 1764, was an Austrian statesman of enlightened absolutism, Imperial Councilor and diplomat.
As an advisor and collaborator on the reforms of Maria Theresa and Joseph II and as the founder of the Austrian Council of State, he was the leading voice of the Enlightenment Party in the Habsburg monarchy and the promoter of many domestic political reforms. As state chancellor (1753–1792) he was responsible for Austria’s foreign policy and contributed to renversement des alliances through the alliance with France in the run-up to the Seven Years’ War. Under Empress Maria Theresa he had extensive powers in foreign policy. However, they were increasingly restricted under the successors Josef II, Leopold II and Franz II.
As always with these old-time articles, we have retained the spelling and grammar of yesteryear.